Thursday, March 27, 2014

Corn Flour Empanadas and Salad

I found a recipe to make empanada dough out of Meseca on this site: http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2009/02/how-to-make-empanadas-with-corn.html

I am going to make Empanadas for Dinner tonight. Unlike the above site says I am going to bake my empanadas instead of frying them.

Ingredients :
  • 2 cups of masa harina
  • 1-¼ cups of warm water (amount may vary depending on air humidity and other wheatear conditions). I had to use about 2 1/2 cups of water 
  • 2 pieces of round plastic cut out from a bag. (freezer bags are ideal for this purpose). I used parchment paper instead of plastic.
  • 2 cups of filling ( I did two kinds:ground turkey with taco seasoning and breakfast sausage and onion ((Normally I just use ground beef, yellow and red and green peppers, onion, green olives Adobo and Sazon seasoning but those are not Dukan approved)) Note: Filling must be cold to keep the dough in shape. and don't over fill or they fall apart.
  • smidgen of olive oil (to sprits  on the empanadas before putting in the oven to bake 


Preheat the oven to 375degrees

1. Prepare the dough in a bowl, mixing the masa harina, salt and warm water to form a ball, knead dough until smooth. Divide the dough in 12 balls, and flatten and slightly cover with plastic wrap. Set aside.


2. Place one ball of dough between two pieces of plastic and press using a tortilla press, a heavy skillet or a dish. I know, you have seen the tortilla press, but somehow I love to use my glass dishes for this step. So, do not be afraid, use whatever you have.




Remove the top piece of plastic and spoon some of the stuffing onto the tortilla. Leaving enough room to seal the edges.


empanadas5
Using the piece of parchment (or plastic) fold the dough over to make a half moon shape turn over. Pinch the edges, making sure they seal to avoid any leaking of the mixture while frying. Remove the empanada from the plastic set aside on a large plate or tray and cover with a plastic wrap. Keep working with the rest of the dough making the empanadas.



Bake the empanadas at 375degrees for 15-20minutes. 


for me they were too dry so I will have to correct that next time but still tasted good
 


For the Salad we just use baby field green lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, fat free cheddar cheese, turkey pepperoni, and any fat free dressing you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment